The Inn known as “The Duke Of Wellington” was built during the reign of Henry VIII (1509-1547) in the year 1515.
It was built on the site of a much earlier building, a refectory and chapel dating back to the reign of William I (1066-1087), which is mentioned in the greater volume of the Domesday Book of 1085.
The old refectory was owned and fared by and order of Benedictine monks, who distributed home brewed ales, bread and meat, mainly salt meat, to wayfarers who came for shelter and refreshment, and was later a pilgrims rest.
It is believed that the earlier building was destroyed by fire in the late 15th century.
The first owner of the present building was one Septimus Quylle who is recorded as a farmer, hop grower and a brewer of the Parish of Ryarsh.
Quylle was granted a license in 1516 to sell ales and cider only, and the house was registered as a Kentish “Ale House”.
Although the license was in Quylle’s name, it was his wife Elanor that was responsible for the running of the “House”, and it was Elanor who was granted the License, by widows consent in 1545 when Quylle died age 72.
In 1640, the “House” underwent extensive alterations, the thatch, wattle and daub was removed and replaced with tiles and bricks as is evidenced by the date above the front door between the upper windows.
The work was carried out by J. Dymer and Sons builders of West Malling.
In 1663, the Justice of Peace at Maidstone, granted one Daniel Deeds a licence to sell distilled Gin and other Liqueurs.
In October 1815 the sign of the “Duke of Wellington” was hung in honour of Wellington’s victory at Waterloo in June 1815, the pub was previously known as the ‘Cock & Coney’.
The Inn has seen and undergone many changed since first it was built, but it still retains the same charm and character that it has done for centuries.
As you step into the bar you will notice a portion of the original wattle and daub, encased in glass and preserved by the Kent Historical Buildings Society.